Monday, July 9, 2012

Spaghetti with Green Olives and Tomatoes


Spaghetti with Green Olives and Tomatoes

When I'm in the middle of a hot July, I really enjoy what I think of as a "no sauce" pasta.  What that means is 1) I don't feel like turning on the oven or spending a long time in a hot kitchen and 2) that I opt for olive oils and broths instead of heavy tomato sauces.  Cooking this way enables me to focus more on the other ingredients, usually a mix of whatever vegetables I have on hand.  That and a good glass of dry rose make me a happy woman. 


This version I made the other night, after a long, satisfying day of gardening, included fresh cherry tomatoes, green olives, onion, garlic, capers, and, yes, fresh ground black pepper :)  

 
I like to pour the drained pasta directly into the pan, toss, and cook everything together for a minute or two.  Sometimes I use my wok but this time I opted for my large saute pan.  With a dish like this, it's best to serve it immediately, mostly because the chef will be so hungry! :)


Ingredients
1 lb of pasta (I used Trader Joe's Corn Spaghetti)
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 16 oz can of whole pitted green olives
2 tablespoons of capers
1 small onion chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
Olive oil
Sea salt
Fresh black pepper
Red pepper flakes if desired

Directions
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil pasta according to directions.
  • Meanwhile, in a large saute pan or wok, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat.  
  • Add onions and cook for about 2-3 minutes until onions start becoming soft and clear.  
  • Add garlic.  
  • After a few minutes, add the tomatoes, olives, and capers.  
  • Add seasonings.
  • Add olive oil as needed (if mixture seems like it is beginning to stick).  
  • When everything is mixed well and the tomatoes are bursting open, add the drained pasta and a bit more olive oil.  
  • Top with grated cheese if desired and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment