Sunday, April 8, 2012

Kid-Friendly Flourless Almond Easter Cookies

Kid-Friendly Flourless Almond Easter Cookies

I knew I wanted to make Easter cookies with my 3-year-old son this year, but remembered all too well the fiasco of holidays past, when nap times and dough kneading and rising times haven't always meshed. You know, the times when Mommy has to finish the cookies all by herself and her overtired child is in a time-out and not allowed to eat any cookies. Oh boy.

So this year I knew I had to approach it differently. I opted to try a flourless almond cookie, decorated in a care-free way with Easter colors. I had made peanut butter cookies in the past, but thought the lightness and delicacy of almond would suit the occasion. They were fabulous and so easy to make it's almost sinful.

Ingredients (there are only 4!)

1 cup almond butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg slightly mixed
Cookie decorations like colored sugar, sprinkles, or gel

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • With electric mixer, combine almond butter, sugar, and egg until well-mixed.
  • Shape dough into small balls, like the size of Swedish meatballs. My toddler and I pretended it was play-doh as we did it :)

  • Place balls about 2 inches apart on 2 ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten the balls slightly with a fork.
My 3-year-old demonstrates how to lightly press your fork onto the cookie ball to flatten it slightly. He was proud of how precise he could be :)

  • Bake each cookie sheet separately for 10-12 minutes on the middle rack.
  • When you remove from oven, and while cookies are still very hot, add your cookie toppings.

My son's favorite part, besides eating them? Putting the sprinkles on top!

  • Transfer to wire rack to cool.
HAPPY EASTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment