Thursday, May 3, 2012

Product Review - Udi's Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

Udi's Cinnamon Raisin Bagel

Recently, my husband surprised me by coming home from a supermarket trip with cinnamon raisin bagels from Udi's.  I had previously tried their plain bagel and was curious about this one.  Admittedly, since I'm originally from the northeast, I have a real bias toward New York bagels.  Even wheat bagels on the west coast just don't taste a thing like a real New York bagel - light, airy, fresh, and uniquely doughy.  As New Yorkers say, "Whatareyougonnado?"  So a New York bagel this is not.  

That said, I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor (not too sweet) and the firm texture (no crumbling like so many other non-wheat products) of these bagels.  Sometimes I find non-wheat flour to be so absorbant (like a sponge) that I feel like I have to overload my g-free toast or bagel with butter just to taste it and then it usually feels like a 5 pound brick.  Not the case with these bagels at all.  My only real complaint is a small one; every bagel in the packet was precut such that there was a huge fat side (notice how large my bagel is in the photo?) and a skinny, pathetic side.  

Overall, though, Udi's Cinnamon Raisin bagel is a solid addition to the g-free line-up and one that adds some much needed diversity to my quick and easy g-free breakfast options.  Just a few years ago, if you were gluten-intolerant you were grateful if you could find ANY g-free bagel, so when one manufacturer alone has 3 g-free varieties, you know things are moving in the right direction. 

2 comments:

  1. They look yummy!
    Have you tried making your own GF bagels?
    I find the cost of prepackaged food to be ridiculous. Just because it is GF does not mean it should cost an arm and a leg. So I make a lot of stuff myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dede - I haven't tried making bagels yet but it's on the agendy for this month. Once you know how to make one bagel, then you can really get creative and try different seasonings, though I'm always partial to an everything bagel. You're right about the cost of g-free food. Do you have a g-free bagel recipe you like?

    ReplyDelete