Friday, January 11, 2013

Sweet Peas Gluten-Free Crepes - Capitola

Sweet Pea's Entrance

Over New Year's Eve, I was lucky enough to spend a few days in the Capitola area. My family and I checked out the original Sweet Peas Cafe, known for their gluten-free crepes. They also offer gluten-free sandwiches, as well as dairy-free options. I was not disappointed.

I ordered a classic gluten-free crepe (a mere 50 cents more than the wheat version) flavored with lemon and sugar. It reminded me of the first authentic crepe I had when I was 21 years old and living abroad in England. Simply put, it was delicious. The flavors were delicate, while the crepe itself was light, yet sturdy enough to not fall apart, like so many gluten-free alternatives. Sweet Peas also offers lots of savory crepes, in addition to the sweet variety.

It's a small, casual place, no white table cloths here. It has a beachy, modern, cozy vibe. Good for reading the morning paper and setting into the day. The kind of place locals know about but is a bit off the beaten path. For anyone who's gluten-free, it's well worth a visit, especially since it's just a few minutes away from beautiful Capitola beach and wharf.

The menu.

If only every specials board ended this way!

My son excitedly awaiting breakfast.

My lemon sugar crepe.

View of charming nearby Capitola.

One happy gluten-free lady!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say I have CD too. This is a wonderful Blog. Thanks for the hard work and for sharing what you have discovered about GF diets.

    ReplyDelete